Thursday, February 11, 2010

Obama Doesn’t Get It

I don’t know what happened to the man I elected to be president in 2008. That man is nowhere to be found…you know the one who was talking about “change” and how business as usual wasn’t going to cut in his White House.

 

Well, apparently, he is ok with JP Morgan/Chase’s CEO, Janie Dimon, and Goldman Sucks, excuse me, Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein’s  outrageous salaries and bonuses even though both of them basically ran their companies into the ground, and if they hadn’t been bailed out by the taxpayer last year, wouldn’t have made anything.  Obama does not begrudge them their success because “that’s what the free market is about.”

 

Free market, excuse me? I thought the free market was about allowing the weaker companies whose leadership made poor decisions fail while allowing smaller companies with smarter leaders take their place. I thought it was about competition.

 

I guess I was wrong. I guess competition and things like moral hazard only apply when you’re the middle class family who has fallen into poverty and is faced with foreclosure…because I hear all sorts of talk of moral hazard when it comes to the government helping a family like this save their home.

 

My disappointment in Obama can’t be described in words. We needed an FDR and we got a Herbert Hoover.

No comments:

Post a Comment